Saturday, February 17, 2007

Ben Kweller - February 16, 2007 at the Commodore in Vancouver

This was a double bill with Gomez so I'll break it up into two parts.
First up was Ben Kweller.
Photo Hosted at Buzznet
I've actually seen both Gomez and Ben Kweller before. Ben Kweller was about three years ago at Richards on Richards in support of "On My Way".

That was a great show. I love that album, and there was an element of danger due to the precarious balancing of the keyboard on the speaker. It felt like at any second that Kweller played the keyboard that he could tumble 4 feet to the floor.
Photo Hosted at Buzznet
This show was more stripped down with Kweller touring with just a bassist and drummer. Kweller arrived on stage with his eyes almost completely covered by the brim of his cap. The stage was set with a lovely Ben Kweller banner.
Photo Hosted at Buzznet
Highlights included a fun cover of an old timer Texas tune, the name of which I can't remember, but seemed to be on the set list as Chugg. (?) and an impromptu performance of the Nintendo Supermario game song.
Photo Hosted at Buzznet
Okay, real highlights were "Penny On The Train Track" and "I Gotta Move" from the new Ben Kweller self titled album and of course "Wasted And Ready". I was really sad he didn't play my favourite song from the new album, "This Is War".

Photo Hosted at Buzznet
Photo Hosted at Buzznet
One of the other things I love is when artists come out after the show to say hello and meet the fans. Happily, Kweller was amazingly nice while I rattled on and on as I am want to do.

Photo Hosted at Buzznet

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good pics, us per usual. Thanks for posting the one I love, 2nd to last. looking forward to the Gomez review!!
I can't remember the name of the "chug" song either, but it was funny
db